This is our all-time favorite dessert recipe. It never fails to impress folks. The frosting layer is the big differentiator.
How long does this take?
Give yourself about an hour and a half for this total, including cooling time before frosting. It gets quicker with experience, though.
- 2/3 Cup Shortening
- 6 oz Unsweetened Baker's Chocolate
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 4 Eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1.25 Cups Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 T Butter
- 3 T Water
- 1.75 Cups Powdered Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Assemble all the ingredients
- Melt the shortening and 4 oz of the unsweetened chocolate together over low heat
- Transfer the melted concoction to a big mixing bowl
- Mix in the sugar, eggs and vanilla extract, mixing until it's all the same consistency
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, salt and baking powder
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until all the same color and consistency.
- Pour into a 9x13 brownie pan
- Cook for 25 minutes or so
- When the brownies are cool, it's time to make the frosting!
- Melt the butter and 2 oz of the unsweetened chocolate over low heat
- Add the water and mix until it's the same color and consistency
- Gradually whisk in the powdered sugar (Sifting the powdered sugar into the frosting minimizes lumps)
- Frost the brownies them evenly as soon as the frositng is made
These keep incredibly well (if they last past the first day). The frosting layer is even better on the second day.
This is really the only sweet that I can't keep in the house. Otherwise, I will eat all of them.
Massive shout out to Mrs. Hogan!